What I go through mentally and physically leading up to a big meet.
This weekend I am swimming at a Sectional meet in Indianapolis. While this isn't a large level meet, I am slightly resting for it to try and swim close to my best times.
Ben and I chose to rest for this meet because it offers us a good place to mark how the season is going. The pool in Indianapolis is fast and there should be some fast competition.
As I get ready for a meet like this, I usually get nervous. In all actuality I get nervous almost every time I race. You may not be able to tell by looking at me, but it's true.
When I get to the meet I make my confidence level rise as I get closer to my race. As I warm up I am a little more confident. As I am behind the blocks I am a little more confident. When the race starts I know I can win.
Physically it is easy to get ready to race. I have been warming up the same for years. My pre-race routine doesn't change and that gives me the opportunity to be comfortable wherever I am.
Even if I am in Bangkok where I can't speak the same language as the people around me, I can go through the same routine and feel right at home.
I love competing at meets, but at the same time I expect so much from myself it is hard to live up to my own expectations. I give 100% and if it goes well great, if not I make adjustments and get it right the next time.
I am looking forward to having a great meet this weekend. I can't wait to race and see exactly where I'm at. I am confident that it will go well.
No comments:
Post a Comment