-->

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

World Championships (kind of a long one)

Well I am finally done with all of my overseas travel and I am glad to be back. For those of you who don't know I just finished competition in the 2010 Short Course World Championships in Dubai.

Looking back on it now the trip was a blur. It took about 24 hours of travel to get from Minneapolis to Dubai and I was a day late (thanks Minnesota blizzard) so I had a little over 36 hours to get adjusted to the ten hour time difference before my first race.

Team USA stayed in a hotel that was about 30 minutes away from the competition pool, which was the most fantastic facility I have ever seen. The facility consisted of two 50 meter pools along with a massive scoreboard that looked like it should have been in some NBA arena. The only strange thing about the pool was that it was well outside of town in what seemed like a very large desert.

Aside from the terrible jetlag, I was pleased with my meet. I finished 6th in the 100 Back, 9th in the 50 Back and won a gold medal for competing on USA's preliminary relay. I felt that I gave a great effort and that under less than ideal circumstances I had some great swims.

Looking back on this short season I feel like I have made some great strides in my technical work. Because it was such a short season, I felt that I didn't have quite enough time to be at my peak, but that will not be the case next summer. Along with my weights I am already doing I will add a dryland workout routine to gain as much strength and speed as possible. More on that to come.

In the next week I will take a little time off from training and do some more travel (in a car this time) to visit family over the holidays. Once I get back after New Years I will get back into full time training to prepare for the 2011 World Championships in Shanghai. Can't wait to get home and eat till I can't eat any more... and then have pie.

Happy Holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment